By the time many read this, the names of Nigerians who have returned their loot would be [or expected to be] listed on the website of the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture. At least the figure of loot so far recovered will be disclosed, going by the promises of presidential aides.
President Buhari was expected (as he had promised earlier) to make known the names of the looters who had returned “billions of dollars” to the treasury through the EFCC, during his broadcast of May 29. His handlers and information minister Lai Mohammed said the names were omitted in the speech in order to avoid lawsuits.The list to be published may not contain the names of looters for the same reason.
In his address, Presdent Buhari said the information ministry would make the list known. One of his aides, Garba Shehu, promised that the list would be available “latest Thursday” this week.
Meanwhile, the server of the ministry’s website (www.fmic.gov.ng) was down and the site could not be accessed on Thursday.
If the list is not released by midnight Thursday, it would be one broken promise too many.